Webinar: Introduction to Neuroscience for the Sport Dog
$179.00 – $199.00
$199 for General Public including Lapsed NACSW Instructors and those who have registered for an instructor course but have not yet attended Segment 1
$179 for Active NACSW Instructors
(NOTE: If you are an active instructor, please register through the instructor portal (see instructions below) rather than through this webform.)
INSTRUCTOR: Dr. Kathy Murphy, BVetMed, DPhil, CVA, CLAS, MRCVS with guest contributor Bobbie Bhambree
June 11 and 12, 2022
Saturday June 11
Part 1: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Lunch: 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Part 2: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Sunday June 12
Part 3: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Lunch: 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Part 2: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
All times are in Pacific Daylight Time
WHERE: Virtual Lecture Hall via Zoom. Link will be sent upon receipt of payment.
CEUs: 2 per webinar (8 total for all 4 webinars) for CNWI
CCPDT and IAABC CEUs pending
The brain is the “mainframe” that powers what we do, stores our memories, creates the pathways of possibility. This course will be an introduction laying the groundwork for you to better understand the inner workings of your dog’s mind.
Learning Objectives: (may include, but not limited to)
- Be introduced to the foundations of neuroscience/biology and what it means for you and your dog
- Navigate the canine brain, its structures, and how they influence performance outcomes
- Learn to better Identify success for the sport dog and why some breeds or types “seem” more successful at certain sports or activities than others;
- And how to work with the dog you have to be the best they can be
- Gain understanding of the importance of the brain body connection
- Brain health
- Body Fitness
- Enhance their knowledge of the need for decompression time and will learn how to use the space “between” to improve learning and performance for their canine partners
During this four-part webinar series, Dr. Murphy will take you through the workings of the canine mind to help you build a more comprehensive understanding of all the elements that contribute to the how, why, what and when dogs process the information we feed them, and how that affects training outcomes.
Dr. Murphy will start by introducing attendees to the foundation of neurobiology and neuroscience. She will discuss why understanding the science behind your dog’s mind-body connection is crucial for training, whether your goals are social companionship or high-level competitive sports.
She’ll discuss how to take what you learn to achieve optimum performance for your individual dog; go from theory to practical application.
Additionally, she’ll discuss the importance of creating clarity and how ambiguity can affect performance. How our behavior along with our emotional responses affect performance – if we think the dog ‘failed’ we’re less enthusiastic with the reward but the dog has to work out what to relate that to.
Have you ever wondered what lies deep within your dog’s mind that propels them to do things that are at times astonishing, at other times confounding? They are fascinating, more complex than we can even imagine and have a unique place in our hearts and homes.
Through guided discussion, visual media and interactive learning, Dr. Murphy will help us better understand the neuroscience underlying what we see when we train our dogs and the why’s of what they do.
This is a four-part webinar course series that will be split over two weekends of impactful learning. Each day will build towards the next and no one day is stand-alone.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Dr Kathy Murphy is a veterinary surgeon (1999 Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) and neuroscientist (PhD University of Oxford / Assistant Professorship Icahn School of Medicine NYC), with an interest in canine scentwork. She is the Director of Barking Brains, a neuroscience outreach project for the animal behaviour and training community and has a passion for making science accessible and relevant for non-scientists. She has fostered and rehabilitated many dogs over the years and currently shares her home with Nancy (Rottweiler), Dennis (Chihuahua x Yorkshire) and Minnie (Chihuahua).
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTOR:
Read more about Bobbie Bhambree on her bio page.
REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR GENERAL PUBLIC:
Please fill out the ticket form and click the 'Buy Ticket Now' button. You can continue shopping or View Your Cart to check out and pay for the webinar(s). You may pay by credit card or via Paypal. A PayPal account is not required.
REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR PNWI, ANWI and CNWI ONLY:
1) To register for the webinar, please log on to the new Instructor/Education website: education.k9nosework.com/login
** NOTE: All PNWI/ANWI/CNWI already have accounts in the new Education website. If you do not know how to log in, please contact email@example.com.
2) Once you are logged on to the Education website, click on the "Course Catalog" tab within your Instructor Portal, and select this webinar from the list of available courses.
3) Once you are on the webinar page, click the "Register" button.
4) Within 24 hours, you will receive a PayPal invoice via email for the registration fee. You do not need a PayPal account; you may pay with a credit card instead. Please pay the invoice as soon as possible. You will not receive a webinar link if you have not paid.